Friday, June 13, 2014

Garden Update

 

I have been really busy down at my garden plots and I haven't spent much time on my blog. I thought I should give an update since it has been awhile. I have both garden plots cleaned up and fully planted. This year I spent a lot of time in my newer plot which was way over due. I cleaned it up, pulled up all the black plastic, tilled the original beds and planted them. I have four raised growing beds, an asparagus bed and strawberry bed. Most of my strawberry plants did not come up this year and the whole bed was badly taken over by weeds. I decided to clean up the bed, remove the remaining strawberries and cover the area with black plastic for the season. This will kill all the weeds and in the fall I will till it and prepare it for next year. I haven't decided if I am going to make it into a strawberry bed again or not. For the most part everything is growing nicely. I had to remove the Soloist Napa cabbage the other day because it bolted, but I still have the Bilko variety hanging in. I harvested some Calabrese broccoli that was looking like it might flower, which one already did. I also had to harvest a head of cauliflower which also looked on the verge of flowering. Every year I notice it is getting harder and harder to grow some cold crops in the spring, it gets warm too quickly and some varieties start to bolt. I may start holding off till fall to plant some crops in the future. Here are some pictures from my garden that I took within the last week.

 View of both plots.
 This year in some of my walkways there is nice grass growing.
View of Plot#2 that was renovated this year.
 
Broccoli Bed
Sun King Hybrid
 
Deadon Cabbage

Bilko Napa Cabbage

Savoy Cabbage
 
Red Romaine

Tom Thumb

Yugoslavian Red

Little Gem
 
Asparagus bed

Cucumbers

Sweet Peppers

Pole Bean Teepee
 
 Tomato Bed #1

Tomato Bed #2
Tomato Bed #3
 
Thanks for stopping by and checking out what is growing in my garden. Happy Gardening!
 
 
 
 
 
 




 
 
 



6 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking lovely - I am especially envious of those cucumber plants. I messed up when I planted mine & unfortunately they are suffering for it. I always seem to be learning in the garden and this year is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret! Depending on where you live you might be able to do a second cucumber planting. So far my cucumbers are good, but then the cucumber beetles haven't been too bad yet. Every year my plants get destroyed by them.

      Delete
  2. Hi, gardener!
    I see you had done a lot of work in your plots! lovely tomatoes, what is a yellow variety? I grow two different varieties: one is cherry and another is tall plant, but very 'fast-ripen' variety. I don't have any cabbages because of insects that like cabbages as well.
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A yellow variety means it has yellow skin instead of red. I hope that answers your question.

      Delete
  3. Looks fantastic! All greens are very healthy and just asking to be eaten. I love how large your garden is and how well maintained you keep it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I always admire the neatness of your garden.

      Delete