Saturday, March 29, 2014

2014 Tomato Varieties

I thought I would write a post about all the tomato varieties I am going to be growing this year. Tomatoes have become my obsession and I now have over 300 varieties of tomato seeds! I am not able to grow all 300 varieties in my gardening space, so I narrowed it down to around 80 varieties. Some of the varieties I will be growing this year are not available from any seed companies. I belong to a Tomato Forum and I have received a lot of varieties that have been created by some of the members. I can't wait to try my tomatoes this year, almost all the varieties I am growing are new to me. I plan on doing a lot of seed saving, so I will have a lot to offer other gardeners for next year.  I will list the varieties by type.

Cherry
Isis Candy
Sweet Linda
Snow White
Black Plum
Melanzane
Clackamas Blueberry
Sun Sugar
Black Cherry
Matt's Wild Cherry
Sweet Sharon

Plum/Paste
Sweet Casady
Carol Chyko's Big Paste
Cow's Tit
Darth Mater
Prue
Speckled Roman
Roughwood Golden Plum
Kalman's Hungarian Pink

Hearts
Orange Strawberry
Brad's Black Heart
Siberian Pink Honey
Little Lucky Heart
German Red Strawberry
Dark Copia Heart
Monomakh's Hat
Danko
Granny's Heart

Small
Mason Dixon 22 F3
Kamatis Tagalog
Black & Brown Boar
Butter Apple
Slava
Rumi Banjan
Psamathe
Fuzzy Wuzzy

Dwarf Tomatoes
Cherokee Tiger Black
Rainbow Dwarf
Sleeping Lady
Dwarf Mr.Snow
Tasmanian Chocolate

Medium/Large
Black Star
Mrs. Benson
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
Copper River
Big Cheef
Arkansas Traveler
KBX
Purple Hillbilly
Serendipity
Sara Black
1884 Purple
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Grandma Oliver's Chocolate
Horton's Purple
Flathead Monster
Kozula #125
Captain Lucky
Vorlon
Rose
Wildthyme Bicolor
Solar Flare
Azoychka
Lucky Cross
Red Barn
Rebel Yell
Brandywine Crazy Guy
Dora
Not Purple Strawberry
McKinley
Grandpa Charlie
Turtle Purple
Chocolate Stripes
Dester
Cherokee Lime
White Tomesol
Brandywine OTV
Indian Zebra
Kozula #24
Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Ferris Wheel
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Purple Elgin
Gail x Everett's Rusty Oxheart cross
Mystery Stripe (seeds from Homer Fike's Oxheart last year that was not true)

13 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to "Granny's Heart" ! I hope she grows strong, healthy and puts forth abundant fruits for you..:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Granny! I am excited too about trying this tomato, I have read good reviews about it. If you would like I can send you some seeds.

      Delete
    2. That's so sweet of you to offer, but it's too late for me to get them started. I'll just sit back and wait for your harvest!

      Delete
    3. There are some on your list that I have heard great things about but am unable to find seeds. Purple Turtle and Not purple Strawberry and Red barn are three that I have been looking for. I came across this blog while looking for them. Can you tell me where to get the seeds.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's some list! I' going to have to stop over your garden this summer and see all these wonderful tomatoes! BTW, thanks for the plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite welcome, I hope it brought a smile to your face. You are welcome over my garden any time. I will have extra plants if you would like to try any. I will hopefully have many varieties for the Tomato Tasting I am hosting for the Community Garden members.

      Delete
  3. Amazingly, after all that trading/sharing we did that there are only 12 of these listed here that made it into my garden. Cheers to the scrumptious tomatoes coming out of our home gardens this year. Excited to hear how your tasting goes with lots of pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow! I can barely keep track of my 4 varieties of potatoes, let alone my 10 varieties of tomatoes. How will you ever keep track of these! Cudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jody I make charts, labels and it helps that I am very anal lol. I am obsessed with tomatoes and I have trouble picking and choosing, so I plant everything.

      Delete
    2. Jody I make charts, labels and it helps that I am very anal lol. I am obsessed with tomatoes and I have trouble picking and choosing, so I plant everything.

      Delete
  5. I love your blog! Thanks for commenting on mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete