Saturday, February 23, 2013

Winter Sowing



I just learned this year about a technique for gardening called Winter Sowing.  I stumbled upon a website called WinterSown.org a couple months ago and it has opened up a whole new gardening experience for me.  Not only did I learn about the concept of winter sowing vegetables, herbs and flowers, but you can also receive FREE seeds.  Winter sowing is a germination method in which you start your seeds outdoors during winter using mini-greenhouses made of recycled containers or clear plastic totes.  The winter exposure creates healthy strong plants.  I planted some Broccoli, Cabbage, Pak Choi and Swiss Chard in milk jugs back in the beginning of January and some of the broccoli and pak choi started sprouting in the beginning of February.  I did a second planting in the beginning of February using a clear plastic tote with a clear lid and Solo cups.  I planted some perennial flowers, annual flowers, herbs and some tomatoes in the tote.  I checked the tote yesterday and noticed the Bachelor Buttons are sprouting already!  This technique has freed up some space in my indoor greenhouse which I use to start my pepper, eggplant, onions and other seeds that require warmth to germinate.  I use grow lights and heat mats for those seeds.  I only briefly described winter sowing in this post so if you are interested in learning more about winter sowing visit WinterSown.org.  They also have a group you can join on Facebook that I find to be very helpful and informative.  Happy gardening!











4 comments:

  1. Interesting ideas. Pretty new to this as well. Have started seeds inside but have never tried anything outside this time of year in central Illinois. May give it a try. Look forward to following your blo.g

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jarie! So far so good with my winter sowing. Every day something is popping up. I will be checking out your blog as well.

      Delete
  2. I've starting winter sowing too. This is my first year, so I've also started seedlings inside. If I'm successful with both methods, I'm going to have too many plants for my garden. Looking forward to following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking a look at my blog. I am new to blogging, so it is very exciting when someone comments. My winter sowing is going well so far. I think I am also going to have tons of plants. I believe in sharing with other gardens so they won't be wasted!

      Delete