Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Community Garden

I thought I would do a post about the community garden where I have my two garden plots. I got my first garden plot 4 years ago and my second plot 3 years ago. They are both approximately 20x40. I pay a yearly $25.00 fee for each plot. There are 93 plots total. They are all currently occupied and there is a waiting list for new gardeners. The community garden plot program is run by the local county office. Along with the yearly fee there are also rules that need to be followed or you may lose your garden plot. Some of the rules that you have to follow are keeping your garden area neat and weed free, no open water containers, and you must have your garden plot started by May 1st and cleaned up by November. There are many other rules, but these are some examples. There are two water tanks located among the garden plots that are filled once a week by a local fire department and there is also a creek nearby that is another source for water. Many gardens have rain barrels in their gardens as well.  Most gardeners have their gardens fenced with locked gates. Unfortunately we have to worry about people from the community helping themselves.  I enjoy gardening amongst other gardeners and learning from them.  We share ideas, equipment and our harvests.  Here are some pictures of the community garden and one of my lots.







1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful! Too bad you have to worry about people taking stuff. Hopefully that won't happen to us. We're going to put a fence up around ours, but just a short one to keep rabbits out.

    Happy gardening!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete