Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Harvest Monday 7/29/13

Harvests are picking up down at my garden plots.  My tomatoes are starting to ripen, even the BIG ones! Zucchini and summer squash are still producing, but the plants are starting to look pretty bad. I will be pulling them out and replanting them this week.  I just received my Costata Romanesco zucchini seeds from Baker Creek and I can't wait to try them. Are any of you doing a second crop of zucchini and summer squash? I was able to plant my broccoli, cabbage and brussels sprouts last night. I am planning on also planting cauliflower, lettuce, carrots, beets, Swiss chard, Chinese cabbage and Pak Choi. The trick will be finding the room with all my summer crops still growing. Besides harvesting crops this week I also attended a canning class.  It was a lot of fun and very informative. This will be my first year canning and I can't wait to try it.  The instructor was a fellow blogger, Robin from The Gardener of Eden. Here are some harvest pictures from this past week.


 
These zucchini are all from the same plant.  There must have been some cross
pollination going on in my garden.

 
This is my tomato harvest from Monday night.  I had some splitting from the rain on Sunday.

 
These were harvested on Saturday.  My tomatoes are really starting to ripen on a regular basis. Some of my tomatoes are really large this year.  I am very happy so far
with my tomato production this year.
 
 
These are bitter melons I am growing for fun this year.  I have never grown them or tasted them so we shall see.  They have very vigorous vines and are really productive.  I will post later about how they taste and what I made with them.  They are suppose to be very healthy for you.



Thanks for stopping by and checking out what I am harvesting in my garden.  Stop over at Daphne's Dandelions to check out other Harvest Monday posts. 



5 comments:

  1. I have to say that I really enjoyed instructing the canning class. I hope it gave everyone enough encouragement to try canning.

    Boy, you sure do have some lovely tomatoes! I have never grown bitter melons. A few years ago "The Italian" wanted me to....but, I never did. Can't wait to hear about them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robin! I am curious myself about the bitter melons. I will let you know how they were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tomato harvest is very lovely. What varieties do you have growing? I think i see Mr Stripey if i'm not mistaken, and is that a Kelogg's orange or something else? And I think i see chocolate stripes and black plum hiding in the basket. (sorry I'm tomato afectionado as well).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first picture has German Pink, Russian Rose, Black Emperor(plums), Coure di Bue(heart), Mr. Stripey, Spudakee(has a belly button) and the three striped tomatoes are suppose to be Homer Fike's Yellow Oxheart, but turned out to be a mystery tomato. The second picture from top going clockwise is 3 Basinga, Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, 3 Lemon Boys, Russian Rose, Dr. Wyche's Yellow and Orange Russian.

    ReplyDelete