Saturday, March 2, 2013

It's March!!!

For me March is a very exciting month as a gardener.  It is the month in which seed starting is at its peak and also the month in which I can start planting in my garden.  Hopefully by the end of March I will be able to till my garden beds and start planting my spring crops.  I plan on direct seeding peas, spinach, beets, asparagus peas and sweet peas the last week in March.  I will also be planting my broccoli, cabbages, onions and kohlrabi transplants.  I am hoping Mother Nature cooperates and it doesn't rain to much this spring!   I did some more winter sowing today. I planted three types of lettuce, curly parsley, celery, dill, white borage, okra, nasturtium, zinnias and violas.  I used a clear tote and seed starting containers.  I also transplanted my cabbage, purple cauliflower and onion seedlings into larger containers and moved them outside into a clear tote.  I have to say using these clear totes as mini greenhouses/cold frames has really freed up space in my indoor greenhouse with grow lights and also increased the amount of plant varieties I am growing this year.


Purple Cauliflower, Orient Express Cabbage, Early Jersey
Wakefield Cabbage & Walla Walla Onion seedlings.








2 comments:

  1. Your seedlings are looking good. I winter sowed lettuce this week. We'll see how it goes. I'm going to plant onion sets this year. Next year, I plan to do seed. Need to get started earlier to get the seed germinated. Didn't have the time this year.

    ReplyDelete